December 20, 2010

Living on crumbs, black coffee and free wifi...

Hopefully this post isn't too much of a downer, I just need to vent! :) At least there are MUFFINS!



Well, it's been a rocky past couple of months and apparently that isn't going to change with the coming New Year. I'm not the only American who is struggling with the economic woes of the times, but damn it's frustrating!

After being layed off at the end of the summer, I found a job promising part/full time rather than accepting unemployment money. This has actually ended up being 16 to 20 hours a week...I'm trying to find another job but it's almost more difficult *because* I have a part time job already. I can't afford to quit and then look for one, so it's really become quite the chess game.

Living paycheck to paycheck in a city with one of the highest unemployment rates, previously thinking at any point I could go back to school and get a career...I have to say I'm getting a bit nervous!!!

One thing is for certain though, I will be sticking with my vegan diet. Anybody who thinks it's too expensive is a naysayer!
I can't afford organic everything or prepackaged Tofurky and the like, but I can eat quite satisfactorily I think on a very tight budget.

Here's something cheap and filling I had this morning:

Peaches and Cream Oatmeal with Cinnamon and Brown Sugar:




Oatmeal with frozen peaches, cinnamon, brown sugar and almond milk.



So I guess you will see some new directions for this blog with the new year:
THRIFTINESS
BUDGETING
MAKING-DO

I'm trying to budget all meals for two people for each month on $225 (hopefully less).
It will be an interesting if only necessary challenge. I'll probably be looking into homemade stuff more too (such as soaps, etc), so stay tuned!

In the meantime...would you like a muffin?

2 comments:

  1. Sort of on the same theme, Kris at Two Vegan Boys is doing a year-long no restaurant challenge.

    http://eatinnotout.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to be more thrifty as well...looking forward to what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete